Water Damage Do's And Dont's
Water Damage Do's
- CALL SCI-TECH’S RESTORATION EXPERTS at 540-613-5919 – If no visual mold is present & if water is a category 1 (from a clean water supply line) you can use fans to circulate the air and assist drying until help arrives.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe furniture dry.
- Lift draperies off carpet, loop through a coat hanger, and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place small wood blocks or aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings.
- If affected, open furniture drawers, closet doors, and luggage to enhance drying.
- Move photos, paintings, and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Remove wet fabrics and dry them as soon as possible. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Remove damp books from shelves and spread out to dry.
- If damage occurs during a cool season, leave heat on; if in summer, use an air conditioner if available.
*Damage from the water and bacteria growth can begin within just hours of the intrusion.
Water Damage Don’ts
- Do NOT call your insurance company without consulting with a professional water damage restoration company first!
- Do not use an ordinary household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or wet floors.
- Do not go into rooms with standing water if the electricity is still on.
- Do not lift tacked down carpet without professional help. Lifting the carpet incorrectly could promote shrinkage and delamination.
Do not wait to call Sci-Tech’s Restoration Experts at 540-613-5919 for professional help.